Sunday, October 6, 2013

Empowering Students with Technology

The introduction chapter of this text explained the difference between automating and informating.  I agree that sometimes technology can make a task less efficient.  General Motors spent tons of money for technology and the text said the quality of work declined.  Using technology for informating "requires thinking about opportunities that could not be achieved without the technology."  Therefore, in my case, using a digital calendar instead of a paper and pencil calendar would fall under automating.  However, if I use google docs to communicate with my teaching team and/or my students, and we can all comment on each others' work, then that would be an example of informating.  Another example of informating referenced in the text is creating an authentic audience for students.  That is a really cool idea!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I sometimes find myself using the smart board like I used my white board. I have to remember to use all the great aspects of this technology. Great point about the reading!

    ReplyDelete